Charles (Chuck) holds a B.S. Degree in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma and studied Accounting at the University of South Florida (USF). In addition, to earning his CPA designation, Chuck also successfully passed the state exam to become a Certified Financial Planner(tm) professional (CFP®). He also holds a pilot license and yacht captain license.
He began his career as a pharmacist owning and operating several pharmacies. While operating the pharmacies, Chuck developed a national computer software company for accounting and medical records for nursing homes. Due to the success of the software package, Chuck created and owned a forms company and a package mailing company. He then bought a printing company to add to the “complete service” approach. After 16 years of successfully operating all of these companies, Chuck sold the businesses and enjoyed some well-deserved time off.
Shortly thereafter, Chuck embarked on brief ownership of a yacht dealership which he later sold to pursue a career in Accounting.
After attaining the CVA designation, Chuck began to realize the importance of CPAs understanding the complete financial picture of the client and asset protection planning. He decided that studying for the CFP® designation would be the perfect complement to the CPA profession. Chuck successfully passed the CFP® exam passing all three parts the first time just as he had the CPA exam!
He was always curious and interested in business taxation since tax planning played an important role in operating decisions. Chuck enrolled in the Accounting program at USF, Ft. Myers, with the goal of obtaining the CPA designation. While studying accounting, Chuck sat for and passed the Enrolled Agent (EA) exam given by the IRS. After completing his accounting courses, Chuck sat for the CPA exam and passed all four parts the first time, not many pass the first try! Throughout his pursuits, Chuck continued to own a pharmacy in Ft. Myers with his partner until 2009 when it was sold.
Chuck then set his sights on becoming a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) knowing there were not many CVAs in Lee County. His interest for the CVA was sparked by his buying and selling of his own businesses. The valuing of business acquisitions, dispositions, and partner shares are some of the areas handled by CVAs. Chuck has recently non-renewed his license due to the litigious and time-consuming nature of the CVA profession.
Due to the expansion of his firm, mostly through client referral, Chuck recruited Barbara A. Reilly, CPA in June 2008; Barbara was formerly an Allstate Agent before becoming a CPA. In September 2009, Charles Abels Massie, CPA, PA became Massie & Reilly, CPAs, PLLC offering a full range of financial services including tax planning, tax preparation, asset protection planning, entity selection consultation & insurance reviews.
- CPA, EA, CFP® – Massie & Reilly CPAs, PLLC
- CVA (Non-practicing as of 2015)
- Pharmacist – RX Services Corp
- Bachelor of Science, Pharmacy – University of Oklahoma
- Enrolled Agent – IRS Exam
- Accounting Courses – University of South FL, Ft. Myers
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA)
- Life/Health and Series 7 & 66 – Insurance/Investment licenses
- Certified Financial Planner ™ professional (CFP®)
- NFLPA Registered Player Financial Advisor
- Board Member of Sanibel Sea School, Sanibel, FL
- Member of the Harry Chapin Food Bank Professional Advisory Network
- Former Board Member of: City of Fort Myers Investment Advisory Board, Gulf Coast Retirement Village, Calusa Nature Center &
- Planetarium, Visiting Nurses Assoc, Downtown Fort Myers Rotary